Obama Pledge to Expand Offshore Drilling Threatens Planet,
Deepens U.S. Reliance on Dangerous Fossil Fuels
WASHINGTON— In the State of the Union speech tonight, President Barack Obama pledged to dramatically ramp up offshore drilling that’s already been shown to be dangerous to people, wildlife and the environment. Obama promised to open 75 percent of the nation’s “potential” off-shore oil and gas reserves to drilling.
“Rather than calling for bold action to combat climate change, Obama intends to deepen America’s dependence on fossil fuels which will increase dangerous greenhouse gas emissions,” said Kierán Suckling, executive director of the Center for Biological Diversity.
“Expanding offshore oil drilling raises the risk of disastrous spills, puts wildlife in harm’s way and solidifies U.S. dependence on the fossil fuels that are driving the global climate crisis,” Suckling said.
- Sanctions Sought Against Canada Over Unsustainable Polar Bear Hunting (shadowwolf32.wordpress.com)
- Tell President Obama “Keep Your Promise: Reject Keystone XL” by Center for Biological Diversity (socialactions.net)
- Action Needed Now: Stop Congress From Rubber-Stamping Arctic Drilling by Center for Biological Diversity (socialactions.net)
- Climate Crisis Should Be Front and Center in Obama’s State of the Union Speech (shadowwolf32.wordpress.com)
- Protection for fragile sea turtles (mercurynews.com)
- Pacific Leatherback sea turtles get more protection (summitcountyvoice.com)
- Global warming: Puget Sound faces acidification threat (summitcountyvoice.com)
- Suit Filed to Protect California Watersheds From Fracking (naturalhistorywanderings.com)
- Grand Canyon’s Million-acre Uranium Mining Ban Finalized (victoriesfortheanimals.wordpress.com)