Superintendent Jock Whitworth has announced the reopening of the Zion Human History Museum and South Campground in Zion National Park. Both of these visitor facilities have been closed during the winter months. In addition, the park horse concession will begin operations for the season.
The Zion Human History Museum will reopen on Saturday, March 5. Hours of operation will be 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily. The museum highlights the interaction of humans with the natural resources of Zion Canyon. The park’s 22-minute orientation film is shown in the museum auditorium by request on the hour and half hour from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Rotating art exhibits, books, and other items of interest can be found at the museum bookstore operated by the Zion Natural History Association, the park’s non-profit partner.
South Campground will reopen on Saturday, March 5. South Campground’s 127 campsites are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Watchman Campground, which is open for the winter on a first-come, first-served basis, will require reservations beginning March 5. Reservations for Watchman Campground can be made by calling 877-444-6777 or visiting www.recreation.gov.
Canyon Trail Rides, the park horse concession operator, will offer one and three-hour guided horse trips on the Sand Bench Trail starting Saturday, March 12. For more information or to make a reservation, call 435-679-8665 or visit www.canyonrides.com.
The Zion Canyon Visitor Center and Kolob Canyons Visitor Center are open year-round. Current operating hours for the Zion Canyon Visitor Center are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily. The Kolob Canyons Visitor Center is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily. Both visitor centers offer park information, backcountry permits, and bookstores.
For detailed information on Zion National Park, visit the park’s website at www.nps.gov/zion.
- Zion National Park 2011 Artist-in-Residence Announced (shadowwolf32.wordpress.com)
- Zion-Mt.Carmel Highway reopens after repairs ()
- Kolob Canyons Visitor Center closing for renovation ()
- Scenic Drive Repair Project to Begin at Capitol Reef National Park (shadowwolf32.wordpress.com)
- Zion National Park 2011 Cliff Climbing Closures (shadowwolf32.wordpress.com)
- Advice For Shooting in Utah’s National Parks (digital-photography-school.com)
- Bryce Canyon offering free admission during MLK weekend ()
- 2010 Sets Record for Visitation In Bryce Canyon National Park (shadowwolf32.wordpress.com)